Re: [Last-Call] Last Call: BCP 83 PR-Action Against Dan Harkins

On 10/2/22 19:02, Eric Rescorla wrote:

Not that it actually changes the situation, but as it happens, the
mini-rant in question arguably misrepresents, the tweet, which
reads:

   .@MaraGay "Masking remains an act of solidarity & respect for
   vulnerable people, that includes people w/ disabilities, w/ chronic
   conditions like asthma, as well as for hard-hit communities like
   native & black communities especially, Hispanic communities"

In the email you are referring to, this was characterized as:

   Well the other thing to keep in mind about masking is that "it remains an
   act of solidarity & respect" for... BIPOC (natch).

I don't think it's really necessary to unpack this, but suffice
to say, this doesn't seem like a particularly good-faith reading
of the tweet in question (whether you agree with said tweet or
not).

Oh, *that's* what Adam was talking about.   (thanks for clarifying)

For what it's worth, I disagree with Dan about the merits of masking, and I think masks one of the few cheap, reliable, and effective countermeasures against COVID that we still have, at least in the US (given that neither the safety nor efficacy of booster vaccines that are currently available in the US has been empirically established.).

It's silly to call something virtue signaling if it's actually a virtue.

I'm not offended if Dan sees it that way.   The COVID situation has become so confusing that I'm not surprised at the wide variety of opinions on the subject.    I draw the line, however, at spreading misinformation that can harm people.

Keith