Discontinuing XMPP support after IETF 115

Dear IETF Community,
Please see my comments below inline...
Thanks.

Le vendredi 9 septembre 2022, Jay Daley <exec-director@xxxxxxxx> a écrit :

> On 9 Sep 2022, at 11:20, Maisonneuve, Julien (Nokia - FR/Paris-Saclay) <julien.maisonneuve@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> If IETF had been serious about keeping Jabber useful, it would have offered hosting jabber accounts, or even created them automagically with datatracker accounts.
> It’s true that clients were not always easy to configure and some fell in disuse but there were lots of them and recommending the best would have solved the problem for most.
> But the biggest hurdle were the jabber accounts, with servers disappearing or just not working.
> This path was not taken, and now we are relying on a third party service for which longevity and data safety are unclear.
> A missed opportunity ?

We did operate just such a server:

        https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/ietf-announce/6bdY6SS6q2fjexqMaRAuaqmZEww/

Hi Jay,
Thanks for sharing these information i missed,
brother :'-(

...please how could i create an account within that
XMPP server instance?

By the way, no one would be able to easily convince
 me, again, to use a service which is provided just
temporarily; when there are viable and more "stable" alternatives...

And we put considerable effort into testing and recommending clients:

        https://web.archive.org/web/20211015183859/https://www.ietf.org/how/meetings/groupchat/

However, no amount of servers can make up for the lack of reliable clients on the platforms people want them on and with the feature set that people expect.

...was it too tough to jauge the rough consensus on
that issue?

You know, i suspect there is a deep issue to resolve
maybe it's on the approach used by the IETF-ISOC;
regarding the selection of services used.

Why not try to:

  __
/   |
|1. use *by default* FLOSS (Free/Libre OpenSource
Software) services;
|2. self hosting needed , FLOSS, services by default;
|3. build a team of volunteers who shall select,
deploy & maintain some needed FLOSS services
or implementions of particular open protocols at
the request of the community...outsourcing it to
Non-profit Orgs such as <framasoft.org> or maybe
<april.org> or <chatons.org>/others would result to
something similar imho;
|4. ...
\__|

...just a naive and humble contribution, though.

Shalom,
--sb.

Jay

--