Discontinuing XMPP support after IETF 115

Dear IETF Community,

Hope this email finds you in good health!

Please see my comments below, inline...
Thanks.

Le jeudi 8 septembre 2022, Brian E Carpenter <brian.e.carpenter@xxxxxxxxx> a écrit :
On 09-Sep-22 04:08, Phillip Hallam-Baker wrote:

On Wed, Sep 7, 2022 at 6:13 PM Brian E Carpenter
<brian.e.carpenter@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:brian.e.carpenter@gmail.com>>
wrote:

On 08-Sep-22 08:00, S Moonesamy wrote:
Hello, At 10:06 AM 07-09-2022, Robert Sparks wrote:
[...]

Why? A Proposed Standard can sit on the books and does no harm.
Sometimes, it turns out that there is a whole user community for such
a standard that we don't know about, for some version of "we".

That is not really true. A proposed standard can and often does
prevent others trying to address a problem.

IMHO that's a minority case, but when it happens, it can be dealt with by formally obsoleting the problematic document or feature. Anecdotal evidence: I've done it. Several times in fact: RFC3879, RFC4048, RFC6563, RFC7526.

So if XMPP was actively harmful, we could obsolete it. But I don't think that's the case.

Hi Brian,
Thanks for your email, brother.

...to add, on your point about a community under
XMPP protocol, i shall quote the following bits:

"Projects using WebRTC with XMPP
There are many people pairing WebRTC with XMPP.

The Jitsi Videobridge uses the COLIBRI XEP to manage connections and conference mixing.

Jitsi Meet is an open source instant videoconferencing web application, which uses XMPP.

Combining Jitsi videobridge and Jitsi Meet into a single package, Openfire Meetings makes WebRTC video conferences simple to deploy and use.

Otalk is an open-source platform for building realtime applications using XMPP. Talky is an example of an application built using these libraries."
https://xmpp.org/uses/webrtc/#:~:text=Projects%20using%20WebRTC,using%20these%20libraries.

Shalom,
--sb.

   Brian