RE: Portable Internet Accounts

You may misunderstand.  Telephone numbers are a useful abstraction of an address for reaching someone and are portable.  The portability of the service is the good thing.  If your MESH and the contact catalog can do as much that will also be a good thing.

From: Phillip Hallam-Baker <phill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, September 9, 2022 12:19 PM
To: pierce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: Maisonneuve, Julien (Nokia - FR/Paris-Saclay) <julien.maisonneuve@xxxxxxxxx>; Carsten Bormann <cabo@xxxxxxx>; IETF Community <ietf@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Portable Internet Accounts

Telephone numbers were invented when the switchboard operators couldn't remember all the subscriber names. The people were required to adapt to the machines, not the machines to the people.

The telephone number fetish is the main thing I dislike in Signal. I pay quite a bit for telephone services which are ultimately little more than mapping a number onto what has been an Internet end point for a decade. If I call my mother in the UK, my cellular provider would charge me $1/minute for that. Worse still, there is no way for me to know what exorbitant rents are being extracted until the bill arrives. I really don't understand how people can for shame work for companies who still try to present customers with $20,000 bills for roaming charges as they pass through an airport.

I am not really looking to replace Internet messaging here. I am looking to replace the telephone system whose decaying corpse has been giving off a terrible smell for decades now. Calling mother by Facetime works but it is inconvenient for her and will continue to be inconvenient until she can plug her landline handset into some box that can terminate Internet calls with the exact same ease as POTS. And she will be more than happy to buy such a device if it also gives her access to legacy telephone service for a reasonable cost which I would put at less than $10/year.

Giving out my telephone number to establish a Signal call really doesn't work for me because now that other person has access to a personal communication device I carry with me that lacks access control on inbound calls. I subscribe to the various spam blocking services but even so, I am now getting a dozen nuisance calls a week. I don't want to give out my telephone number to anybody because for me, that is a technology that will be going away.

People thought the Soviet Union would last forever. It didn't and there were vastly more powerful forces keeping that institution together.

Part of inventing the future is extinguishing the past.