Re: Discontinuing XMPP support after IETF 115

On Fri, Sep 9, 2022 at 11:41 AM Justin Hornosty <jjrh@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
XMPP being the chat of email didn't really pan out but it's by no means
dead - there are a lot of big vendors deploying XMPP (mostly closed
systems with federation turned off sadly) Chances are you used XMPP
without even knowing it.

The XMPP Standards Foundation (XSF) exists and is actively publishing
new extensions. https://xmpp.org/extensions/

What I am saying is that XMPP is nowhere near successful enough to claim squatters rights on that particular problem area.

The success of 'protocols' is irrelevant to me, I only care about infrastructures. At this point we can be reasonably sure that the Web will endure for centuries but that can't be said of HTTP or HTML or the WebPKI or any other 'protocol' that I worked on.

Infrastructures are more than mere protocols, they are communities and applications and interactions through which the protocols are used.

The goal of the Mesh was to strip down every major communication protocol and interaction, identify the common requirements and rebuild them from the ground up on a single common platform with practical cryptographic security controls built into the core.

I now have a complete working prototype demonstrating that this is completely feasible from the technical point of view. But that is not the hard part, the hard part is the social layer. The devil is always in the deployment.