Re: Registration open for IETF 115

Ole,

I take Jay's points, including the need for protracted and
complicated negotiations.  He didn't mention it but I assume
that, for the next few meetings, our choices of hotels may be
considerably constrained by commitments we made to defer
scheduled/contracted meetings during the pandemic.

I also appreciate the offer of having the Secretariat intervene
if there is a problem but assume such interventions would be
much more likely to be successful if there were one or two
emergency (and late) cancellations than if there were a dozen or
two.  The latter might occur if there were a major outbreak in
mid- or late October, especially if it caused some major
companies or supporting organizations to clamp down on travel,
taking the decisions away from individuals.

It is probably too late for London at this point but, at least
for future meetings, I wonder if it would be possible for the
IETF to negotiate two rates, a standard IETF one and something
equivalent to an IETF "semi-flex" one, and let people decide
whether the marginal cost of the latter is worth it for the
added flexibility?   In a way, that would be a form of
IETF-negotiated insurance.

Another possibility, which I assume the LLC has checked out and
rejected is that, independent of Jay's comments about national
insurance markets, it should be possible for the IETF to obtain
hotel cancellation insurance to cover the costs of any
cancellations by individuals between the 22nd day prior to the
meeting and, say, November 6.   By coincidence, London has been
famous (since late in the 17th century if I recall) for
organizations in the special risk insurance underwriting
business and it would almost certainly be possible to obtain
such a policy... even though, under today's circumstances, the
cost might be completely unacceptable.

FWIW, because other pandemic-related issues make it much harder
to check out alternate places to say (especially
semi-residential "rent a room" arrangements) wrt whatever COVID
precautions one thinks are appropriate and because, as Eliot
sort of pointed out, inexpensive rooms in good London hotels are
now a rarity,  a 21 day cancellation policy may be a bigger
threat to "who actually attends in person" than any
back-and-forth about IETF COVID policies, sharing a problem with
the latter that an ideal policy (other than "just participate
remotely") requires more ability to accurately predict the
future than most of us have.

best,
   john

--On Tuesday, August 23, 2022 06:36 -0700 Ole Jacobsen