IETF116 in Japan and Covid

Hello,

It’s good that IETF has managed to get back to Asia after a few years of gap due to Covid.

However Japan still has tight entry restrictions (*) in place even during summer (covid light season). We can only assume that Covid in winter will be more severe, potentially making Japan more difficult to enter.

In addition Japan entry conditions have not been exactly predictable in the past year and tend to vary in ways that are not entirely explainable by pandemic figures (they are not alone).

I’m sure this issue has been part of the discussion when deciding to locate IETF116 in Japan, hence my questions : Has IETF received assurance that Japan’s entry policies would not tighten in a way that would threaten the meeting’s success ? Are there provisions that may enable IETF attendees to get in more easily than plain tourists ?

Thanks,

(*) entry conditions : 3 doses Moderna/Pfizer vaccine, PCR test before travel, antigen test on arrival, compulsory app-based contact tracing, compulsory visa, country entry cap at 20K per day, 7-day quarantine when positive. Apparently relaxed slightly for some origin countries (just preflight PCR ?) on June 1st  but this could come back in winter.

Best regards,

Julien Maisonneuve.