Re: [Last-Call] Artart last call review of draft-ietf-uta-rfc7525bis-09

On 7/15/22 11:54 AM, Rob Sayre wrote:

On Fri, Jul 15, 2022 at 10:47 AM Benjamin Kaduk <kaduk@xxxxxxx <mailto:kaduk@xxxxxxx>> wrote:

    On Fri, Jul 15, 2022 at 10:30:55AM -0700, Rob Sayre wrote:
     > On Fri, Jul 8, 2022 at 7:19 AM Cullen Jennings via Datatracker <
     > noreply@xxxxxxxx <mailto:noreply@xxxxxxxx>> wrote:
     >

     > >  I see no evidence of any
     > > discussion of how that will work out for things that use HTTP
    but are not
     > > browsers.
     > >

     > There just aren't that many implementations on the client side.
    Not only do
     > you have to implement all of the HTTP versions and TLS, but you
    have to
     > maintain all of the PKI stuff as well. Obviously, people do it,
    but they
     > are not the ones that need to read this document.
     >
     > If the TLS library is not one also used by the OS and a browser (NSS,
     > SecureTransport, etc), it's probably OpenSSL. I don't think this
    is an
     > oversight in the document.

    I think we need to be really careful with what we're considering as the
relevant population of clients when making statements like this,

Sorry, I tried to leave a caveat in there for exactly this concern, but that seems to have failed.

    Mbed TLS (Apache licensed, just like current OpenSSL) is much more
    appropriate in those environments,

I don't think people that write programs like that will get a lot out of this document. I think they're not the audience (they will drop TLS 1.2 or support TLS 1.1 if they want/need to).

And, surprisingly enough, that's already mentioned in the applicability statement section of this document:

   This document does not discuss the use of TLS in constrained-node
   networks [RFC7228].  For recommendations regarding the profiling of
   TLS and DTLS for small devices with severe constraints on power,
   memory, and processing resources, the reader is referred to [RFC7925]
   and [I-D.ietf-uta-tls13-iot-profile].

Peter