Re: [Last-Call] Artart last call review of draft-ietf-uta-rfc7525bis-09

On Fri, Jul 15, 2022 at 10:47 AM Benjamin Kaduk <kaduk@xxxxxxx> wrote:
On Fri, Jul 15, 2022 at 10:30:55AM -0700, Rob Sayre wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 8, 2022 at 7:19 AM Cullen Jennings via Datatracker <
> noreply@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

> >  I see no evidence of any
> > discussion of how that will work out for things that use HTTP but are not
> > browsers.
> >

> There just aren't that many implementations on the client side. Not only do
> you have to implement all of the HTTP versions and TLS, but you have to
> maintain all of the PKI stuff as well. Obviously, people do it, but they
> are not the ones that need to read this document.
>
> If the TLS library is not one also used by the OS and a browser (NSS,
> SecureTransport, etc), it's probably OpenSSL. I don't think this is an
> oversight in the document.

I think we need to be really careful with what we're considering as the
relevant population of clients when making statements like this,

Sorry, I tried to leave a caveat in there for exactly this concern, but that seems to have failed.

Mbed TLS (Apache licensed, just like current OpenSSL) is much more
appropriate in those environments,

I don't think people that write programs like that will get a lot out of this document. I think they're not the audience (they will drop TLS 1.2 or support TLS 1.1 if they want/need to).

thanks,
Rob