Re: Post-Last-Call versions of documents and change logs: suggestion to the IESG

Keith,

Just to clarify in case that is needed, in a more perfect world,
I would agree with each of your comments/principles.  It is easy
to find analogies for all three steps in other publication
processes and I have no doubt that they would result in
everything we produced being of much higher quality as well as
representing clearer consensus.

However, in the real world, I believe that moving in those
directions would result in loud outcries about how things
already take too long, that following that "clean" a process
would make them take longer, and that one net effect would be to
drive down participation and the range of perspectives
available, thereby lowering both quantity and quality of IETF
outputs in a different way.  So I am trying to find, and tried
to propose, much more modest changes that would work in our
less-than-perfect world.  I see changes of those types as
representing tradeoffs between where we are now and that more
perfect world, building on the strengths and constraints of each.

If the community wanted to adopt your model and adhere to it,
I'd be delighted.  I just don't believe that, in practice, there
is a chance (for good reasons as well as bad ones).

best,
  john

--On Saturday, June 25, 2022 15:35 -0400 Keith Moore