Re: Post-Last-Call versions of documents and change logs: suggestion to the IESG

Without responding to John's message point-by-point, I have long believed the following:

1. Documents should be frozen at Last Call time, with no updates permitted until IESG has voted on the document. 2. Any changes subsequently agreed to between IESG and the document editors should be published as a post-Last-Call I-D + diffs, along with explanations for the changes. 3. Those changes should be subject to community review, with the potential for subsequent revision before sending to the RFC Editor. 4. Similarly, any changes made by the RFC Editor should be posted as I-D + diffs and subject to community review BEFORE the final RFC is published.

There's too little transparency in these late stages, and a lot of potential for those changes to vary significantly from community consensus.

Keith