Re: Gun control at IETF 114

On Wed, Jun 8, 2022 at 10:18 AM Vittorio Bertola <vittorio.bertola=40open-xchange.com@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Il 08/06/2022 16:45 Dan Harkins <dharkins@xxxxxxxxxx> ha scritto:

  And if we care about mass shootings then the US is not the most dangerous
place. Actually, on a mean death per million from mass shooting Norway is.
Sure, if you take a 5-million-people country and a time range which includes the only significant mass shooting in its entire history ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_Norway_attacks ), I am sure that it will jump on top of any ranking. Or you can take France and include Charlie Hebdo and the Bataclan massacre, or Belgium and the Brussels airport bombing.

Of course deaths all count one, but in terms of odds of being caught into such a situation, very few politically motivated high-toll incidents are a bit different than "somewhere between 21 and more than 600" shootings in the U.S. in 2020 only (quoting the article you linked).

This said, of course the actual odds are extremely low even in the U.S., which is why I will still come to Philadelphia (even if I was there once for half a day, 15 years ago, and I got assaulted by a band of kids while walking in the city centre). There is no risk-free activity anyway. But please, let's not deny that there are valid reasons why people feel a little uneasy at the idea of coming there.

+1

--

Vittorio Bertola | Head of Policy & Innovation, Open-Xchange
vittorio.bertola@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx