Re: Gun control at IETF 114

On 6/7/2022 6:11 PM, Keith Moore wrote:
On 6/7/22 16:59, Mary B wrote:

Folks can recall that we've had meetings where there's been major anti-war protests (e.g., San Francisco 2009).  I know some folks were even afraid to leave the hotel for dinner or walk in the area of the protests (which were just a couple blocks away from the meeting venue).

I remember those protests, saw them while walking from my hotel to the IETF hotel, saw the police threatening the protesters, decided that being only one block away was far too close, started walking briskly in the other direction.   The protests didn't bother me; the potential for the police to become violent and for the resulting confrontation to get out of hand, did.

Personally, I think IETF should stick with the official sources and follow local rules and let individuals make their own decisions.

Because official sources are trustworthy?  Yeah, right.

Keith

When I was presenting the Newcomer's briefing, one of the last slides I'd put up was entitled "Local Cautions".   It included items particular to the area in which we were meeting.  E.g. Berlin had "Avoid photographing strangers; Moderate risk of pick pockets in tourist areas and on U-Bahn; As always, watch your belongings".   For one of the Prague meetings, demonstrators were occasionally marching through the main square and that was mentioned along with I believe a mention of world class pick-pockets (that last was taken directly from a quote from one of the meeting hosts lest someone think I'm denigrating Prague).

Conditions change, and might change rapidly before and during a meeting.  Keeping aware of them  - and actually looking up from your laptop or phone once or twice during the meeting - is helpful to personal safety and tends to retard personal inconvenience (e.g. having your laptop stolen).  Every (make that EVERY) city we've been in (with maybe the sole exception of Singapore?) has sketchy areas, areas in which demonstrations occur, or areas in which not knowing the customs (i.e., being an oblivious tourist) might be problematic.   Keeping aware, and ideally having a friendly native guide, or personal knowledge of your locations is key to personal safety and comfort when wandering about outside the conference venue.

Later, Mike