Re: Gun control at IETF 114

On 6/7/22 08:53, Mary B wrote:

I don't think IETF should be making meeting decisions based on risks of death from various causes in various countries, although I guess they've started doing that with COVID.

I would support IETF making meeting venue decisions based on risks of death and/or violence.   Hardly anyone wants to meet in truly dangerous areas, and plenty such areas exist.   But such decisions should be based on recent actual statistics rather than fears.    I say recent statistics because as far as I can tell, both COVID and recent political conflicts seem to have resulted in an increase in violence in the US and elsewhere.   Good luck finding reliable sources of recent statistics though.

And in the absence of supporting statistics, the US shouldn't be assumed to be safer than anywhere else.

Keith