Re: Gun control at IETF 114

--On Monday, June 6, 2022 20:09 +0300 Töma Gavrichenkov
<ximaera@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Peace,
>
> On Mon, Jun 6, 2022 at 5:08 PM Antoine FRESSANCOURT
> <antoine.fressancourt= 40huawei.com@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Given the evolution of the political climate in the US around
>> gun control, I am wondering what are the policies that the
>> IETF plans to put in place to make sure the hotel we
>> gather in is a safe place (I.e a gun-free area).
>
> So I'm not a subject matter expert, which needs to be
> accounted for, but it seems to me that in a country where
> carrying guns is allowed, a gun-free area is actually a pretty
> unsafe place.  The wisest thing concerned persons could do is
> probably quite the opposite: to arm themselves to the teeth and
> to carry that openly, hinting that if anyone goes insane there
> would be guaranteed consequences, immediately.

And that is why I wanted to avoid a discussion on this list when
I first mentioned the shooting ... and think it would be good to
wait and see what Jay has to say.

However, wrt the strategy above, in much of the US (I have no
information about Philadelphia) you would find yourself detained
by the police for an extended period which they determined that
your arming yourself that way and displaying the weapons was
intended strictly defensively and even whether, if challenged,
you would respond in a narrow and focused way or start spraying
bullets in all directions.

I'd guess that, if one wanted to go in that direction, head to
toe body armor would be a better strategy.  I wouldn't advocate
that either but, if one were wearing a helmet that covered one's
head a face, it would probably be impossible to anyone to tell
whether you were wearing an approved mask or not :-)

best,
   john