Re: portable e-mail, now Trying to do too much (was Re: the introduction problem, etc.)

On 5/22/22 15:14, Phillip Hallam-Baker wrote:

The architecture of mailing lists sucks. It has always sucked. There is no way to implement a push messaging protocol that is not going to suck and a push messaging protocol without ubiquitous authentication is going to suck really bad.

This says nothing about why, or how, it sucks.  I can guess, but it would probably help to know specifically what you mean.

I am aware someone has an IMAP service somewhere for IETF lists and there have been NNTP services. But neither of those work with my mail clients. And configuring my clients to be able to post while accessing the mail that way sucks even worse.

Perhaps, but unless your mail client is very odd, getting it to work with IETF's public IMAP server, or switching to a mail client that does work with that IMAP server, still seems like it should be easier than, say, getting your mesh system widely deployed.

Keith

p.s. Of course, mailing lists predated by 15-20 years anything resembling a fully-connected global network, even if you count on-demand dialup access as part of that network.  So if the architecture of mailing lists has really always sucked, at one time it at least sucked less than an alternative that would have required an interactive connection to either the sender's host or a central distribution server.