Re: portable e-mail, now Trying to do too much (was Re: the introduction problem, etc.)

It appears that Michael Richardson  <mcr+ietf@xxxxxxxxxxxx> said:
>    > These days everyone supports IMAP so if you have enough access to set
>    > up a .forward, you have enough to set up IMAP access in your mail
>    > client.  I realize it's not exactly the same thing, but for most people
>    > it's at least as good since it keeps the two mailboxes separate.
>
>Right.  So map the analog back to phone numbers, the answer is to just keep
>an extra handset in the house for the old number.

Kind of.

>What you just said, about access to ".forward" being the same as just
>installing your own IMAP server is elitist nonsense.

Um, what century is this? I suppose there are still a few people who
run sendmail on their linux box, deliver mail to a file in their home
directory, and read it with /bin/mail but these days we call that
retrocomputing.

People I know read mail on their phones and on their tablets, or on
laptops using programs like Outlook or Thunderbird or for us olde
farts, alpine. The only sensible way to do that is with IMAP so you
see the same mail on all of your devices. Any linux system that can
run cpanel and exim can run an IMAP server like Dovecot installed from
a package. It's not that hard. If you're just aggregating mail at
one place like Gmail, you only need POP and there are some very simple
POP servers.

I am no more pleased than anyone else that some large mail systems
misused DMARC to outsource the support costs of their security failures
and as an entirely predictable side-effect broke forwarding and
mailing lists. But given a choice between being the cranky old man
yelling at the cloud and adjusting my mail so it works, I'll take the
latter.

R's,
John