Re: We are not a mail forwarding service

On 5/21/22 8:05 AM, Carsten Bormann wrote:
On 2022-05-21, at 13:30, Michael Richardson <mcr+ietf@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
My contention is that we (the ietf) should have done exactly what p=reject
said.  They don't want their mail forwarded, we shouldn't forward it.
Which is probably true if IETF were a mail forwarding service, like iki.fi.

But IETF is something different (look it up if you don’t know what I mean :-), and enabling communication is a rather important part of what it is.
If a forwarding service cannot do that, a different service should be offered.

A simple service that gives me the addresses of the people who should be in the alias, ready for copy/paste into a MUA, would do.
While I would like to do something better for the overall problem, doesn't (for instance) https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-core-attacks-on-coap/email/ give you  that already?
  This still does not solve the problem of one chair sending a note to some document authors and the other chair wide-replying to that to offer some additional information, but it would be a start.

Grüße, Carsten