Re: draft-sullivan-nomcom-chair-select-00

Mary B <mary.h.barnes@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
    > form.  I think I was probably the first.  And, it's not that I hadn't
    > volunteered to be on the Nomcom for the 9+ Nomcoms.  I figured with my luck
    > being chair was the only way I'd get on a Nomcom (I don't buy lottery
    > tickets).  But, I thought being chair and not having been on a prior Nomcom
    > was a positive because I brought in no bias into the part of the
    > process

Like the various T-shirts having pseudo-concert tours, which are really lists
of invasations...

_Join the NomCom (as chair even) and help pick ADs, before the NomCom picks
you as an AD_

:-)

    > I can tell you having just served on a Nomcom as a voting member that the
    > member's insight into what all is involved in serving as chair doesn't come
    > close to the amount of work and tasks involved.  It is one of the most
    > difficult roles in IETF in my opinion.    But, the overall outcome of the
    > process is more dependent on the voting members and the fact that only 10%
    > of the community is generally willing to volunteer for the role is a bigger
    > problem IMHO.

I agree with you.
Picking chairs would be easier if we had more participation.

    > In short, I think chair selection, while probably a challenging task for
    > the ISOC chair, is the least of our problems when it comes to the integrity
    > of the process.   It likely would be very helpful to document how past ISOC
    > chairs have made their selection, but I don't think it's a good idea, nor
    > necessary, to open it up to volunteers, community feedback, etc.

I mostly agree with you.

--
Michael Richardson <mcr+IETF@xxxxxxxxxxxx>   . o O ( IPv6 IøT consulting )