draft-sullivan-nomcom-chair-select-00

Dear colleagues,

I write with my job hat on.  I'm employed by the Internet Society.

Part of my job here is to select the NomCom Chair.  I've been
uncomfortable about how that has worked in the past, and more than a
year ago I said I'd write a new process.  I failed at that goal, but
it's a new year so I've finally written this.  It's at
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-sullivan-nomcom-chair-select/.

I am eagerly requesting feedback on that draft _for things under my
control_.  The procedures in RFC 8713 give me a lot of latitude in how
to deal with this appointment.  They give me no control whatsoever as
to whether I _should_ be able to do this, who else should do it, and
so on.  Feedback of the form "Here's how NomCom should work for real,"
will be ignored, because they will not provide me guidance as to what
I should do.

Please also resist the temptation to tell me, "Tell someone else it's
their thing and promise to follow what they promise."  If the IETF
wants to modify RFC 8713, including removing my own role in this
selection, I don't imagine a universe in which I'd work to work to
foil that.  But similarly I am not willing to create an entirely new
consultative body (or new job for an existing consultative body)
without the community saying so.  This document is merely an outline
of how I plan to execute my duties as they're already defined.

I hope this will be a modest contribution to the IETF, and I look
forward to your suggestions.

_Please_ send me feedback directly and not copied to the list.  I
won't be able to follow discussion about this on the list except
sporadically, and I'm going to have to put this plan into action some
time in the coming weeks.  Thanks very much.

Best regards,

Andrew Sullivan
President & CEO, Internet Society
sullivan@xxxxxxxx