Re: draft-sullivan-nomcom-chair-select-00

+1

On Mon, Feb 14, 2022 at 2:13 PM Brian E Carpenter <brian.e.carpenter@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 14-Feb-22 19:34, Eliot Lear wrote:

> How important is the chair role?  [I honestly have no idea.]

Very important, I would say. A fair, conscientious and proactive chair
is necessary, and we've been very fortunate over the years. In other
words, the undefined process has worked pretty well, although I
fully understand Andrew's concerns.

The insider bias risk is considerably reduced by the fact that the
NomCom chair is non-voting.

On 15-Feb-22 03:04, Andrew Sullivan wrote:

>> I suspect that in reality the only way to get good candidate>> is to nicely ask a number of likely people and hope that one will say yes.
>>

> That's the process we have now, and it has the obvious problem
> that it depends on the Internet Society President (at present, me)
> having a good list of "likely people".  Populating that list is
> what I'm trying to do.

A public call for candidates seems reasonable. I am however rather
concerned by the idea of a published list and call for comments.
I can imagine a variety of unfortunate side effects of this,
some of which might undermine the eventual chair's neutrality.
I'd advise against for the first year, until the effect of a
public call for candidates is known.

     Brian Carpenter