Re: [Last-Call] Last Call: <draft-rsalz-2028bis-05.txt> (Entities Involved in the IETF Standards Process) to Best Current Practice

On 13 Feb 2022, at 12:34, John R Levine <johnl@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I don't know what "IANA clients" means, but this is the diff I have so far:

The IANA clients are ICANN for domains,

For what it's worth (not much!) I don't think this is quite right; ICANN as a community sets policy for which ICANN the organisation is a legal home; the IANA function is the implementation of that policy. I don't think it means anything useful to say that ICANN is a client of IANA. Since IANA doesn't really exist as an entity it's a bit of a stretch to say that it has clients at all.

However, it comes to names the clients of PTI (which is an entity, and which executes the IANA function) are top-level domain managers for TLDs, RIRs for reverse mappings (IN-ADDR.ARPA and IP6.ARPA) and I guess the Root Zone Mantainer when it comes to the products of root zone DNSSEC key ceremonies.

I do not speak authoritatively about anything much these days, and certainly not this, but I think that's closer to reality.

the RIRs for IP addresses and ASNs, and the IETF for protocol parameters.  Don't think you need to go into that much detail, though.

Joe