RE: Backdoor standards?

Stable URLs for old Internet drafts are useful without obfuscation. I’m happy that tools.ietf.org/html/ seems to redirect to their current location.

But https://www.researchgate.net/publication/2923961_An_IETF_URN_Sub-namespace_for_Registered_Protocol_Parameters

points to http://tools.ietf.org/pdf/rfc2648   which used to work but now gives a 404 not found.

I’d like retiring old URLs for documents be given the amount of consideration as was given the retiring of the various ftp services. Avoid breaking old references unless you must.

Note that RFC 2648 “A URN Namespace for IETF Documents” supports bcp, fyi, id, rfc, std as the kinds of documents the IETF might want more “permanent” names for. It seems to assume no renaming of expired (i)nternet (d)rafts.

--

https://LarryMasinter.net https://interlisp.org