Re: Backdoor standards?

On Thu, Jan 13, 2022 at 2:15 PM Russ Housley <housley@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Everyone looks at diffs when reviewing documents.  When I was IETF Chair, I made the decision, after discussion with the IESG, to keep I-Ds online so that the rfcdiff tool made diffs easy for all.

<snip>

Russ

More information is almost always better than less. I think we need to think very hard before taking any information away. Someone writing a driver to allow people to mount the IDs as a file system for instance.

I submit my documents as IDs so they come under NOTE WELL. Whether I bring them to IETF, W3C or OASIS or spin up a new organization, my number one concern is to keep the IP issues straight.

Internet Drafts have an explicit statement saying what they are as far as IETF is concerned. We are a couple of thousand people, most part time serving a community of 5 billion. Some folk are going to get the wrong end of the stick no matter what.

As people have noticed, I believe in permissionless innovation. Or at least, I don't ask.

isn't that supposed to be the IETF mantra as well? So why get worried about the possibility someone is going to get confused?

I thought that one of the things we were trying to do was build information systems that allowed documents to be made persistent with a really low threshold for inclusion. Like someone being likely to want to read it.

People ask: what might happen if we lose control?

How about we instead ask, What might we achieve if we give control back to the people it really belongs to?