Re: [Last-Call] Last Call: Moving RFC 4491 to Historic

>   More recently, at least for the relevant GOST specs, the
    practice has apparently shifted to publishing them as
    Informational in the Independent stream.

They are also sometimes published because specification, or standard, exists outside of the IETF, and the IETF cryptography community prefers items published by the IETF, rather than external documents that might change or are located behind a paywall, are in a language other than English, etc. CFRG has documented things before (RFC 9106 and 7748 come to mind), and Simon Joseffson [1] has been notably active in doing this kind of thing.

I recall discussions about doing this taking place at various TLS and CFRG meetings, but I have no idea if a policy is written down anywhere.  I'm sure it's not.

[1] https://datatracker.ietf.org/person/Simon%20Josefsson