Re: [Last-Call] Last Call: Moving RFC 4491 to Historic

--On Friday, January 7, 2022 16:20 -0500 Russ Housley
<housley@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> It looks like draft-deremin-rfc4491-bis is in the works to
> replace RFC 4491.  Why is this action needed before the bis is
> approved to replace it?

Russ, as discussed in my rather long analysis (somewhat
reinforced by Vasiliy's (I hope that transliteration if correct,
if not, apologies) and Adrian's notes), this is a bit of a
tangle involving RFC 3279.   Very briefly, up to some point, the
practice was to publish specifications that extended the list in
3279 is Proposed Standards updating 3279.  Presumably, if those
extension specifications were replaced, they would simply
obsolete the earlier versions and the lists of updates to 3279
adjusted to reflect the new versions.  For better or worse, that
showed the relationships very clearly.

More recently, at least for the relevant GOST specs, the
practice has apparently shifted to publishing them as
Informational in the Independent stream.  It is not clear to me
why that shift occurred (if it is documented somewhere, I have
not been able to find it) but, as Adrian points out, one
implication is that having the new document replace (aka
"obsolete") 4491 would involve some cross-stream issues.  As
Adrian also points out, one way out is not to have the I-D
"replace" 4491 at all and rather to independently kill off 4491
by making it Historic.  I think that is just a way to confuse
people and assume the inter-Stream problems could be overcome
with a little bit of effort.  However, listing an Informational
document from outside the IETF Stream as updating RFC 3279 would
be, I think, much more complicated in spite of its being, as
Vasiliy points out, obviously The Right Thing to do.

So, it seems to me that a delay in this action is desirable but
not sufficient and that we have some sorting out to do... and
that we should start with 3279, figure out what the Right Thing
is, and then how to make it happen.

best,
  john