Re: IPv6 causes global warming

Phillip Hallam-Baker <phill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
    >> https://datatracker.ietf.org/wg/6lo/documents/
    >> https://datatracker.ietf.org/wg/lpwan/documents/
    >> https://datatracker.ietf.org/wg/lwig/documents/
    >> https://datatracker.ietf.org/wg/ace/documents/
    >> https://datatracker.ietf.org/wg/core/documents/
    >>
    >> to name but a few.

    > Maybe the IAB could suggest the various parties get together and propose a
    > single solution rather than five different ones?

That's work in many different layers, and it's all complementary.

The header compression stuff is all in 6lo.  44 byte IPv6 headers can be 7 to
9 bytes long in some circumstances, leveraging the redundant information from
the L2 header.  Privacy preserving? Not very.  So a reason why we might want
to carry around extra entropy (which costs energy) is privacy.

--
Michael Richardson <mcr+IETF@xxxxxxxxxxxx>   . o O ( IPv6 IøT consulting )