From: ietf [mailto:ietf-bounces@xxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Brian E Carpenter
Sent: Tuesday, November 23, 2021 12:31 AM
To: Nick Hilliard <nick@xxxxxxxxxx>; John Levine <johnl@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: ietf@xxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: IPv6 causes global warming

On 23-Nov-21 08:19, Nick Hilliard wrote:
> John Levine wrote on 22/11/2021 18:50:
>> But does anyone have any idea what this "report' might be?
>
> draft-petrescu-v6ops-ipv6-power-ipv4?
>
> The methodology raises questions about whether the results are
> reliable enough to be quoted.

Regardless of that, it's far from clear that even if those results were valid in 2017 that they are still valid today, and how they relate to total power consumption, because for all I know base stations use 10% less power for IPv6 and core routers use 12.5% less. Warren, shall I write a draft raising those hypotheses?

How much power is being wasted at this moment by domestic NATs and CGN boxes?

    Brian