Re: I-D Action: draft-rsalz-termlimits-00.txt

--On Thursday, October 21, 2021 09:34 +1300 Brian E Carpenter
<brian.e.carpenter@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Well, I am not convinced. *Guidance* to NomCom along these
> lines would be a fine idea, but a firm rule, IMHO, would
> over-constrain an already constrained solution.

To be clear, while I am trying to see the other side of the
argument and want to try to avoid ones I consider largely
spurious or even dangerous (such as "positions are too hard to
fill"), I share your concern about a firm rule.

As suggested earlier, have a look at draft-klensin-nomcom-term,
which is all about guidance and treating separate issues
separately.  Whether the two-step process it proposes would
really clarify things, eliminate another problem people have
expressed concern about (recently, not 15+ years ago), and be
worth the effort is, I think, a separate discussion.

I need to consult with Spencer before putting a new version up,
but you can probably assume it is in the pipe.

    john