Re: Proposal: an "important-news" IETF announcement list

On 9/26/21 1:14 PM, John C Klensin wrote:

Let me suggest one small example:  When a WG decides to schedule
an interim meeting, that announcement should go to the WG list
and_maybe_  to an Area-wide list for the relevant area, not to
IETF-announce.

As much as I hate the excessive number of announcements, the problem I have with this idea is that the most important decisions tend to be made in interim meetings.   Interim meetings are sometimes used as a way to railroad decisions through WGs by making them "done deals" before they attract wider attention.

But of course the real problem isn't too many announcements, so much as over-use of interim meetings.   But burying announcements for interim meetings would seem to exacerbate that problem.  I think the principle that interim meetings are subject to the same rules for approval and announcement as other meetings, is the right principle.

Of course (especially in these pandemic days) interim meetings have arguably become the "normal" meetings, with the 3-per-year meetings becoming the odd ones.

Still, a periodic IETF-wide calendar that's sent to the list where meetings are announced, might be a good replacement for all of the current individual announcements.

Keith