Re: Proposal: an "important-news" IETF announcement list

On 9/29/21 9:32 AM, Alexey Melnikov wrote:
Hi Barry,

On 29/09/2021 15:08, Barry Leiba wrote:
1.  Announcements sent manually by <various roles> = 284
2.  Announcements of new and updated WG charters & WG closures = 44
3.  (included in above 44)
4.  Announcements of new non-WG mailing lists = 13
5.  Announcements of new RFCs = 275
6.  IESG and LLC telechat announcements = 39
7.  Announcements of document actions = 175
8.  Announcements of IESG conflict-review results = 14
9.  Last call announcements for I-Ds = 174 (+ 4 for other actions)
10. Interim WG meeting announcements = 256

The "important-news" proposal would only retain those under (1) above.
I think that 1, 4, and 6 should all be retained as is (and in the new
list, if it's created).

I think that 2, 5, 7, 8, 9, and 10 should be in a weekly summary, one
single message per week.

I have a slight problem with this proposal because if it is implemented it would not be possible to find last call announcements by draft name. I think this is a rather important feature when searching archive.

This aspect - search for "thing" by looking for it in email Subject lines is what's driven so much of what people are now proposing to condense. Alexey points to a big use case - since people _reply_ to Last Call messages, searching for the subject is an easy way to find threads. Note the CCs on the Last Call messages currently going to IETF Announce.

Similarly, the "string of interims announcements" that was brought up is the way it is now because people _asked_ for one message per session that they could easily search for and easily visually scan for these (with the date) by subject. It started as one message. I'm happy to change this to whatever/wherever, but recognize that what's happening now was shaped by community feedback.

Unfortunately I don't have a solution for this problem.

Best Regards,

Alexey