Re: Proposal: an "important-news" IETF announcement list

On 28-Sep-21 15:49, John C Klensin wrote:

> --On Tuesday, September 28, 2021 09:05 +1300 Brian E Carpenter
> <brian.e.carpenter@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> Lars,
>>>
>>> I'm not quite sure I understand what you mean by "make it
>>> opt-out" - do you mean "subscribe by default"?
>>
>> I mean that on the web page where one signs up for the
>> datatracker, or registers for a meeting, there should be a
>> *pre-ticked* box for "Join the XXX@xxxxxxxx mailing list". In
>> fact, a list would be even better; thinking out loud:
>>
>> [/] important@xxxxxxxx     -- important IETF announcements
>> [/] ietf-announce@xxxxxxxx -- general IETF announcements
>> [/] ietf@xxxxxxxx          -- general discussion list
>> [/] agenda-announce  -- meeting announcements of all kinds
>> [/] last-call   -- IETF-wide document last calls
>> [/] I-D-annnounce -- Internet Draft announcements
>> [/] rfc-announce  -- RFC announcements
>> [/] datatracker   -- general data tracker announcements
>>
>> and maybe one or two more.
>>
>> And set "no duplicates" in mailman for all announcement lists.
>
> Brian,
>
> Whether opt-out or opt-in, such a list invites people to get
> only the information they think they need and would mitigate
> against finding out about (not necessarily tracking) things that
> might be of interest, even within an Area or part of an Area.
> Once one starts un-checking boxes, it is mechanically and
> psychologically really easy to check many of them.

That seems to vary wildly between people. I agree that it might
have unintended side effects.

> In addition, for those of us who do considerable local filtering
> or message routing based on the list used and sometimes parts of
> the Subject line, having Mailman apply "no duplicates" is a
> truly horrendous idea,

Again, it depends and should be (indeed is) a personal choice
in mailman, with the current default being "off".

> especially if we don't want to make a
> trip to the bikeshed to discuss which list is preferred if a
> message is posted to several of them and the particular user is
> subscribed to all or those or a subset.  If we think the above
> are discrete categories and people should be able to decide
> which to subscribe to [1], then any announcement messages should
> go to at most one of those lists and people who want to get that
> type of announcement should subscribe.

Well, that's exactly why I operate with "no duplicates" *on* and
sort incoming mail based on both the list names and the subject.
So really I don't care how many different announce lists there are,
they all get treated the same. But that's me, and you do it differently.
There's no perfect solution.

> FWIW, agenda-announce is an interesting case that illustrates
> the problem. If I'm only interested in meeting announcements in
> an Area or two (plus IETF-wide ones or not), it doesn't help me
> at all.  To allow me to control that, I would need
>    IETF-meeting-announce
>    ART-meeting-announce
>    GEN-meeting-announce
>    INT-meeting-announce
> etc.
>
> Or to carry that argument in the direction of the ridiculous, it
> might be reasonable for me to want to follow the meeting
> announcements and Last Calls from particular WGs while not
> participating actively in their mailing list.  For a
> hypothetical Foo WG, that might mean, instead of
> ietf-foo@xxxxxxxx,
>
>   Foo-meeting-announce
>   Foo-last-call-announce
>   Foo-discuss
>
> while today, all of those are lumped together, with what would
> be the first two copied to the third.... just like your list
> above is all copied to/ merged into ietf-announce.
>
> Conclusion: It is unlikely that one can tailor lists that
> provide the right information, with no noise, to many IETF
> participants.  If we want to help, we should put more energy
> into trying to make it efficient for participants to read things
> they are interested in and discard (manually or automatically)
> the rest with minimal fuss.  But I think that has been said
> before in other ways.

And actually I completely agree with that conclusion. Whatever
the IESG decides in this case, I will make a small adjustment
to my subscriptions and incoming mail filters, but nothing
much will change in my workflow.

Regards
   Brian

> best,
>    john
>
> [1] My guess is that the categories are not as discrete as we
> would like and that there will be edge cases... perhaps another
> reason to not go down the "many list" plan or, if we must, to
> not go very far down it.

[Agreed]