RE: [Tools-discuss] Content at notes.ietf.org is not archival

On 17-Sep-21 07:22, Michael Richardson wrote:

> Carsten Bormann <cabo@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>     >> On 16. Sep 2021, at 09:46, Mark Nottingham <mnot@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>     >>
>     >> Or, just automatically delete notes 30 days after creation.
>
>     > (Again, I don’t know whether this was a serious proposal.
 I’ll treat
>     > is as such for the purpose of this message.)
>
> Well, I'm serious.
> I think 30 days might be way too long.
>
> WG and design team leaders should know to download minutes at the end
> of the session.  It's not hard.
> But, in order to train that, the contents needs to disappear within
> the
day,
> and there will be some crying.   Some WG session minutes will go away.

One day is too short; back in the good old days, when most of us suffered jet lag after each meeting, a week to capture the minutes and copy-edit them was hardly enough. But I do agree, this is a major duty of WG chairs or secretaries, and needs to be done promptly.

I wouldn't call it notes.ietf.org. I'd call it temp.ietf.org. Or at least, put everything in notes.ietf.org/temp/ and move it to notes.ietf.org/recycle/ after 30 days and then to /dev/null after another 30 days. Something like that, anyway, depending on how it would integrate with HedgeDoc.

   Brian
[Qin] If you log on HedgeDoc using your IETF account, you will see all the WG's notes.ietf.org you have visited before. I can even see some WG notes 10 months ago. I agree to keep these temporary notes for a while. But to avoid confusion with formal notes/minutes maintained in each WG data tracker tool, we should stick to single source of truth principle and trust published minutes verified by WG chairs.