RE: IETF 112 will be a fully online meeting

Il 06/09/2021 10:46 Maisonneuve, Julien (Nokia - FR/Paris-Saclay) <julien.maisonneuve@xxxxxxxxx> ha scritto:

Things are worse globally, but not so bad in many places.

Should we avoid anything that can spread the disease and remain in our dwellings relying on deliveries because the situation is bad in many places ? Most governments have taken another approach (vaccination, masks, gel, some distancing) and allow near-normal life. Surely IETF can learn from their example.

To avoid having this discussion again and again, we could start by calling consensus on the basic premise that different people will assess the risks (both personal and collective ones) very differently, so we will move to hybrid meetings and allow each participant to make up their own mind on whether to participate in person or remotely; the in-person component will happen as long as there are enough people willing to participate physically, under the rules and conditions of the venue and of its hosting country, to make it financially sustainable.

That looks like the only possible consensus between, at the extremes, the people who would like to continue meeting virtually forever and the people who would like to get back to the pre-covid meeting model immediately.

If necessary, I'm happy to write a 1-page draft and put it to shmoo for discussion as soon as its charter allows that.

--

Vittorio Bertola | Head of Policy & Innovation, Open-Xchange
vittorio.bertola@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx