Re: Proposed Experiment for IETF 112: Moving the Plenary

I support Barbara Stark's comments.

Thanks,
Donald
===============================
 Donald E. Eastlake 3rd   +1-508-333-2270 (cell)
 2386 Panoramic Circle, Apopka, FL 32703 USA
 d3e3e3@xxxxxxxxx

On Fri, Sep 3, 2021 at 10:25 AM STARK, BARBARA H <bs7652@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> It's because, when you)re attending a virtual meeting that starts 2am your time,
> you're dead by 6am.
>
> I'm going with your first reason.
>
> No-one seems to really have recognised that virtual meetings can easily be
> staggered over several weeks, with a couple of meeting hours per day. But
> eventually, the realisation will be made that meetings that don't have to be
> compressed into physical space in a venue also don't have to be compressed in
> physical time, that lessened impact on schedules is worth it, and we'll commit to
> continuous partial attention.
>
> And when that happens, IETF Month will be established as a thing. three months
> a year.

For me, personally, I find it hard to maintain concentration during an entire week of 8-hours/day virtual sessions. But I would do it without complaint.
I am also one of the people strongly opposed to extending over multiple weeks. I have 2 reasons for this:
1. When the meeting is not in a good time zone for me, asking me to time-shift (and remove myself from family commitments) for 2 weeks instead of 1 is a considerable burden. For example, during this past week I've had a week-long meeting that was 06:00 - 10:00 for me. Normally I look after my grandson from 06:00-07:00. My family had to change their schedules to accommodate my being "away" at a meeting. I'm fine asking them to do this for 1 week. I'm not fine with asking them to do this for 2 weeks. I would *much* prefer 8-hour days over 2 weeks.
2. I participate in multiple orgs. Each has 3 to 4 meetings per year. Each is struggling with this same problem of having enough time during virtual meetings. It's hard enough to keep them from choosing overlapping weeks when they have week-long meetings. If they were all to go to 2 weeks per meeting it would be impossible to avoid overlap.

One org I participate in did experiment with a 2-week-long virtual meeting. For me, it was a horrible experience. It did overlap with another SDO meeting in the 2nd week, and the encroachment into personal time was considerable.
Barbara