Re: Proposed Experiment for IETF 112: Moving the Plenary

On 03-Sep-21 07:36, Adrian Farrel wrote:
> Thanks for thinking about creative ways to address these problems.
>
> Without commenting specifically about the experiment, I wonder whether you could clarify one thing for me.
>
>> fully online meetings have a shorter length of day
>
> Why is that?
> Is it an attempt to minimise the out-of-comfort timing window?
> Is it because people who are not travelling also have to fit other work into their day?
> Is it because "that is what we have always done"?

I think all of those are valid, but also I think that staring
at a screen for most of 6 hours is already beyond any reasonable
limit. It's well established that this is bad for you.

At an in-person meeting, even with laptops open, people
are not just staring at the screen.

So, taking the plenary out of the main agenda seems like
a Good Idea to me, and much better than extending the
6-hour window.

It doesn't help me personally, because of my time zone.
I think something like 21:00 UTC would optimize international
attendance. (Late evening in Europe, late afternoon in N America,
early morning in Asia-Pacific.)

   Brian