Re: IETF 112 will be a fully online meeting

Jordi,

I think we are looking at different principles and issues and
therefore talking past each other a bit.  I don't think the
difference between our guesses about who might sue whom over
what can be usefully discussed further.   Rather than digging
those holes deeper and in the hope of clarifying your concerns,
let me ask a question:

Suppose that, to the extent possible [1] (and not just for venue
selection or interactions with disease mitigation efforts), we
adopted a principle that we do not rely on the rules of any one
country.  Instead we identify the top five countries by count of
IETF active participants [2], add in whatever WHO has to say
where health-related issues are concerned, examines the rules of
each, and then adopt IETF rules on the basis of picking the most
restrictive of the group [3], mixing rules from different
jurisdictions to get the most restrictive rule in each
sub-category if needed.  Temporarily putting aside the
implications for potential newcomers from seriously
underrepresented part of the world, would something like that
meet your needs?

   best,
    john

[1]  For some (or many) cases, it may not be possible, which was
part of the reason I brought the insurance issues up, but skip
that for the purposes of my question.

[2] I recognized that, were someone to actually propose such a
procedure, the community would probably get into an endless
debate how to measure active IETF participants and count them by
country.  Fortunately, the above is not a proposal, just an
attempt to get clarification.

[3[ When, for example, we have some countries trending in the
direction in which they might eventually require a booster shot
to be considered fully vaccinated while WHO is arguing for
saving those "extra" doses for other countries, that merge might
not be straightforward.  But, again, a hypothetical question,
not a proposal.

--On Thursday, September 2, 2021 09:35 +0200 JORDI PALET