Re: IETF 112 will be a fully online meeting

Hi John,

I also deal very often with insurance companies and even had a couple of litigation situations with them, so I understand all that.

However, the actual criteria that we follow to host the meetings was not available before, so our "possible" insurance companies, didn't knew if we were looking at the CDC or not.

I also don't believe that anyone can sue (and won that case) the IETF if it gets infected or has any injuries because something happens in a given venue/country. Nobody enforced you to go to that country. Of course, assuming that you were following the local laws for security, health, etc. Of course, if somebody falls in an IETF meeting in a country accepted by the CDC, and break his back, will also be able to sue the IETF, but of course, if it was an accident outside of the IETF responsibility, and instead may be a responsibility of the venue (for example a wall falls down, etc.).

I still think the LLC Board should provide a clear answer to my questions and then the community should decide if we agree or not with that.

I also understand that moving the LLC outside US may not be that easy. May be there is a way because ISOC also has offices in Switzerland, etc., I just don't know, and of course, before taking the decision about any other jurisdiction we will need to look into the local laws for this and many other aspects. It is an open question, but it is only important after we know the answer to questions 1, 2 and 4.

I participated in the IASA2 process. Unfortunately, at that time I (probably others as well) didn't consider insurance issues related to the CDC. Otherwise, we would have resolved this before.

Note that I'm not centering the discussion in the Covid situation, neither any specific venue or country or meeting, but in general in anything that may arise in the future ... we don't have the crystal ball, but we definitively need to avoid that any specific country recommendation, avoid us holding a meeting, because that opens the doors to a boycott of any country against others for political, commercial or other reasons. And that it is absolutely UNNACEPTABLE and we need to make sure that we avoid that *as much as we can*.

So again, my questions are still unanswered.

Regards,
Jordi
@jordipalet

El 2/9/21 9:03, "ietf en nombre de John C Klensin" <ietf-bounces@xxxxxxxx en nombre de john-ietf@xxxxxxx> escribió:

    --On Wednesday, September 1, 2021 16:56 +0200 JORDI PALET
    MARTINEZ <jordi.palet=40consulintel.es@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

    > Hi Michael,
    >
    > I don't think your view point is the right one. Let me try to
    > explain and formulate the questions in a different way.
    >
    > If any participant from an US company has their own rules
    > regarding insurance, they may opt to not travel to an meeting
    > in a given country *regardless* of being IETF or something
    > else.
    >
    > What I heard in previous discussions, is that the IETF is
    > subjected to rules about insurance that mandate following the
    > US CDC listings.
    >
    > The question is very simple:
    >
    > 1) If that's correct, can the LLC point to exact US laws that
    > say that?
    > 2) If that's not correct, and it is due to insurance
    > rules, can it be justified that there are no other insurance
    > options? 3) If either 1 or 2 are the responses to this, shall
    > we consider an alternative jurisdiction for the LLC? And, this
    > is the key question after all:
    > 4) If we have a hosting country/venue that is not listed as
    > "acceptable" and this specific criteria is not matched, will
    > be the meeting taking place or not?

    Jordi,

    I was hoping someone else would respond to the more general part
    of this question, but no, so here goes.  I don't think any of
    what follows is inconsistent with Michael's response to your
    note quotes above; just a different perspective on the same
    issue.

    IANAL, but I have spent some time dealing with insurance
    companies, including special risk underwriters, and trying to
    understand the statistical risk assessments on which willingness
    to insure and rates are ultimately based. While neither RFC 8717
    nor 8718 appear to mention insurance among the criteria, I
    suppose it is safe to assume that, were an insurer come to the
    IETF and say, e.g., "if one of your meetings turns into a
    superspreader event, there will be no coverage for either the
    LLC or individual IESG or LLC Board members being sued over the
    irresponsible decision", there would be no f2f meeting.

    Let me try to move this up a level from "one country is better
    than another" discussions.  It may be worth putting the
    questions of what governments do aside and concentrate on the
    insurance companies.  The latter may be driven by political and
    economic considerations (judging from the last 18 months, some
    more than others, but maybe not consistently).  The insurance
    companies are fairly rational and predictable -- staying in
    business depends on getting risk assessments and cost of losses
    right.

    First, they are in the business of assessing risk and writing
    policies and charging fees that reflect those risks and allow
    them to make sufficient profits to stay in business in the long
    run.  Unsurprisingly, there is normally a fair amount of
    uniformity among insurance companies who offer to cover similar
    risks under similar conditions for similar prices.   There is
    also a matter of assessing whether a particular potential
    insurer is solvent enough and honest enough that they will
    actually pay if there is a loss, but I hope we can agree that
    Jay is almost certainly better at making that assessment than
    either of us.   One can typically get, for example, much higher
    risk situations covered, but, again typically, at very exciting
    prices.

    Now, there may or may not be specific US rules that said
    "insurance companies can't write policies unless the policy
    holder agrees to follow CDC guidelines".  I suspect that such
    laws or regulations do not exist but it really makes no
    difference.  The insurers are still going to write policies that
    require the insured to behave in a way that is consistent with
    generally available guidelines in the country(ies) in which the
    insured, the insurer, or both operate because, from the
    standpoint of protecting themselves from the risk of losses and
    potential expensive litigation over them, it just makes
    statistical sense.   Could one find a special risks insurer who
    would write a policy that would protect the IETF LLC and all the
    the IETF leadership even if such advice were ignored?  Probably,
    but I would assume, based on a bit of experience dealing with
    special risk underwriters long ago, that Jay and the LLC Board
    would take one look at the price quote and decide it was
    impossible (I have no idea whether they would decide that the
    community needed to be consulted about that decision, but I'd be
    surprised if the answer was different either way).

    The same issues would apply to US companies including MS unless
    the IETF were indemnifying them, and non-US companies
    considering having employees attend IETF meetings (you will note
    that I did not say "IETF meetings in the US") at least unless
    those companies did no business and had no representatives in
    the US.  The questions for their insurers are about what the
    risks are and how they protect themselves.

    So, now consider moving the LLC out of the US and into some
    other country.  I don't even know how to estimate how hard that
    would be but assume it would be very difficult.  For starters,
    remember that the establishment of the LLC involved what
    amounted to legal incorporation in the US as an ISOC entity
    (however arms-length).  ISOC itself is incorporated and
    chartered in the US (that is probably not the exact legal
    terminology, but I'm confident it is close enough).  Could it be
    done?   Possibly but I'd guess it would be complicated, would
    require new legal documentation and agreements, including
    agreements from ISOC, and might require going through an
    IASA2bis process to make sure document provisions and
    terminology were all still aligned.  Very expensive, including
    in the costs of the IETF not getting technical work done, and I
    think we would really have to be convinced that the real,
    substantive, benefits --not just escaping some US rules on
    principle-- would be considerable and would outweigh any risks
    of large contributors going away.  Remember, for example, that
    contributions to organizations considered non-profits in the US
    generally have tax benefits to US-based companies while
    donations to foreign entities generally do not (there are
    important exceptions, but they might re-entangle one with US
    regulations and risks).

    I think a realistic guess is "not going to happen".  But suppose
    it did.  Then we would find out that every country has its own
    rules or lack thereof and, even if we just look at the last
    year, those rules change over time ...maybe in ways that can be
    predicted and maybe not.  From what I read in the news, the EU
    is making different recommendations now than they made six
    months ago.  So is WHO.  And individual countries are adapting
    their rules in different ways.  Lockdowns and rules about
    international travel (who gets to come in and or leave and under
    what restrictions) come and go.  Could we see some national
    rules and guidelines about how many doses (or even what
    vaccines) count, change over the next year?  Noting that
    different countries have different vaccines available and may
    not recognize some that they do not use as valid, we are partway
    there already.   I hope things won't get worse and more
    complicated, but I would not want to bet against it.

    And, even if one wants to ignore governments or brand some as
    even less reasonable than others, that brings me back to those
    insurance companies.  For obvious reasons, they don't like risks
    they cannot quantify or constrain and will try to protect
    themselves by either inventing restrictive rules of their own or
    picking one or more sets of rules to follow.  And the worst
    nightmare for those wanting f2f meetings in particular locations
    is not that they pick one set of onerous national rules but that
    they decide to someone combine many sets of national rules
    together, making the most restrictive choices where rules
    conflict or overlap.

    That brings me back to a variation on Brian's comment. COVID-19
    is likely to be with us for a long time.  Barring some really
    major breakthroughs that will stop it (perhaps ones that do not
    even require a cure for stupidity), Delta may be succeeded by
    even more virulent (perhaps on different dimensions) Epsilon,
    Zeta, or Eta.  Given that, I think we, sooner or later, either
    abandon the idea of f2f meetings entirely rather than going
    through the motions of "nope, not the next one either" for each
    scheduled meeting.  Or we make a possibly-arbitrary decision to
    move today meetings with a large fraction of participants online
    (whether we call them hybrid or not) and, in all likelihood, a
    shifting population of those who attend f2f based on applicable
    national company and national recommendations and the ebb and
    flow of infections and countermeasures.

      best,
       john

    .