Re: [Last-Call] Last Call: RFC 8321 (Alternate-Marking Method for Passive and Hybrid Performance Monitoring) and RFC 8889 (Multipoint Alternate-Marking Method for Passive and Hybrid Performance Monitoring)to Proposed Standard

On 30-Aug-21 16:25, John C Klensin wrote:

> --On Monday, August 30, 2021 14:23 +1200 Brian E Carpenter
> <brian.e.carpenter@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> I also strongly concur. It is very close to trivial to issue
>> these two documents as I-Ds with standards track boilerplate
>> and give them a 4-week last call. That would conform to our
>> process and avoid an extremely confused and confusing end
>> state. A report on their experimental use would be a useful
>> adjunct to that last call.
>>
>> Maybe it would be quicker to use the normal downref mechanism,
>> since draft-mirsky-bier-pmmm-oam wants it.
>
> Brian,
>
> A downref to a standards track document, especially one we
> believe is stable (and maybe even deployed and interoperable)
> but that no one has gone to the effort to advance is one thing.
> Maybe I'm being over-rigid, but a downref to an explicitly
> experimental document without even an experimental outcome
> report seems to violate basic principles about stable
> references.

I agree it probably isn't what BCP97 intended, but there
is at least one precedent in the downref registry (RFC 3973).
However, I do prefer the other solution.

   Brian