Re: [Last-Call] Last Call: RFC 8321 (Alternate-Marking Method for Passive and Hybrid Performance Monitoring) and RFC 8889 (Multipoint Alternate-Marking Method for Passive and Hybrid Performance Monitoring)to Proposed Standard

--On Monday, August 30, 2021 14:23 +1200 Brian E Carpenter
<brian.e.carpenter@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I also strongly concur. It is very close to trivial to issue
> these two documents as I-Ds with standards track boilerplate
> and give them a 4-week last call. That would conform to our
> process and avoid an extremely confused and confusing end
> state. A report on their experimental use would be a useful
> adjunct to that last call.
>
> Maybe it would be quicker to use the normal downref mechanism,
> since draft-mirsky-bier-pmmm-oam wants it.

Brian,

A downref to a standards track document, especially one we
believe is stable (and maybe even deployed and interoperable)
but that no one has gone to the effort to advance is one thing.
Maybe I'm being over-rigid, but a downref to an explicitly
experimental document without even an experimental outcome
report seems to violate basic principles about stable