Re: DARPA get's it right this time, takes aim at IT sacred cows

On Tue, Mar 16, 2004 at 08:54:30PM -0600, Stephen Sprunk wrote:
> Thus spake "Scott Michel" <scottm@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> > On Tue, Mar 16, 2004 at 07:09:12PM -0600, Stephen Sprunk wrote:
> > > When you add in the (assumed) requirements of backwards compatibility
> > > with existing routers and hosts that don't implement a proposed
> extension,
> > > it gets messy real quick.
> >
> > The immediate handwave would be "Tunnel it." I'm not denigrating
> > backwards compatibility, but a lot of good work has relied on tunneling in
> > the past, e.g., Mbone and v6-v4. I'm currently waiting with baited breath
> > the day that service providers provide v6-to-v4 as the special case to
> > v4-only hosts.
>
> The Mbone and 6bone are different beasts, as they're about tunneling traffic
> from capable hosts across an incapable core.  In the case of an identity
> layer between IP and TCP, we would need to be backwards-compatible with
> non-capable hosts and applications (not just non-capable routers) and so
> tunnels don't seem a workable solution.

Tunnelling can exist at multiple layers. Overlays are just a different
version of tunnelling. Proxies can be viewed as a very limited form of
application tunnelling. Dealing with the complexity of different tunnelling
methods and requirements makes my handwave less tractable (which was
actually more to my point.)

> > You never know until you submit a proposal what DARPA **really** wants
> > even after you get through the program-speak.
>
> All too true.  We do, however, know many of the IETF's needs in the
> identifier/locator arena, e.g. for Mobile IP and IPv4/6 multihoming.  That
> may be a good starting point to determine what, if any, additional
> requirements DARPA has.

No argument there.