Re: DARPA get's it right this time, takes aim at IT sacred cows

On Tue, Mar 16, 2004 at 07:09:12PM -0600, Stephen Sprunk wrote:
> When you add in the (assumed) requirements of backwards compatibility with
> existing routers and hosts that don't implement a proposed extension, it
> gets messy real quick.

The immediate handwave would be "Tunnel it." I'm not denigrating backwards
compatibility, but a lot of good work has relied on tunneling in the past,
e.g., Mbone and v6-v4. I'm currently waiting with baited breath the day
that service providers provide v6-to-v4 as the special case to v4-only
hosts.

> HIP is a good start, but it's still only a BOF and the involvement is
> nowhere near what one would expect for (IMHO) the most significant IETF
> project since IPv6.

Must find more copious free time. Must find more copious free time.

> While that's certainly interesting in its own right, what I think DARPA (and
> the IETF) is looking for is something between the network and transport
> layers, not something above transport.

You never know until you submit a proposal what DARPA **really** wants
even after you get through the program-speak. FLAPPS got funded for a while
under the Fault Tolerant Networks program, as did a lot of other research.

Might be that there are multiple shim layers between network and transport,
transport and application. That said, a lot of things can be solved in the
application layer (or adding thin layers underneath the app layer) because
adding them to the network and transport layer is less tractable. A good
example is multicast -- it works well and fits into the network layer but
the problems with routing protocols to get the distribution tree built turns
out to be a long IETF standards process exercise. Application-layer mcast
seems to be more of a winner than network-layer (just my perception, you
may now fire at will.)

In any case, it's fuel for interesting discussions.

-scooter