Re: DARPA get's it right this time, takes aim at IT sacred cows

Thus spake "Scott Michel" <scottm@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> As one other responder said, there is a need to accomodate different
> addressing styles that separate identity from location. I agree with the
> sentiment. So, [erhaps it is only necessary and sufficient to extend or
> redefine IP's addressing?

When you add in the (assumed) requirements of backwards compatibility with
existing routers and hosts that don't implement a proposed extension, it
gets messy real quick.

HIP is a good start, but it's still only a BOF and the involvement is
nowhere near what one would expect for (IMHO) the most significant IETF
project since IPv6.

> Or perhaps it's only necessary and sufficient to design a universal
> application-level forwarding layer? (Warning: plug for my own research
> called FLAPPS, http://flapps.cs.ucla.edu/)

While that's certainly interesting in its own right, what I think DARPA (and
the IETF) is looking for is something between the network and transport
layers, not something above transport.

Stephen Sprunk        "Stupid people surround themselves with smart
CCIE #3723           people.  Smart people surround themselves with
K5SSS         smart people who disagree with them."  --Aaron Sorkin