Re: List of volunteers for the 2021-2022 NomCom

On 30-Jun-21 11:40, Michael Richardson wrote:

> g_e_montenegro=40yahoo.com@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>     > This discussion is what RFC8989 calls for in order to decide what to do
>     > in the future. The IESG is tasked with driving that discussion once the
>     > NomCom membership is finalized. One useful data point for that
>     > discussion is the following: In the *current* state of the list (now at
>     > 117 eligible volunteers), RFC8989's Path #1 (basically, attendance, as
>     > we've used up to now) is what qualifies all but 3. Those 3 are all
>     > qualified via Path 3 and Path 2 is superfluous as it shows up only when
>     > either Path 1 or 3 already show up.
>
> I'm not surprised here.  Thanks for posting this...
> To recap for readers:
>   Path 1: 3/5
>   Path 2: WG chair
>   Path 3: listed author/editor
>
>     > The point is that Path 1 qualifies upwards of 97% of the
>     > volunteers. Judging from this, RFC8989 hasn't had a significant effect
>     > on the composition of the volunteer pool for NomCom 2021-2022, with
>     > respect to the previous status quo (basically equivalent to path #1).
>
> The thing we need to know is, of the people who were qualified by path 1, 2,
> or 3, why they did not in fact volunteer?
>
> I think that working backwards from who volunteers doesn't help us figure out
> how to get more volunteers.

Correct. I can't get past the fact that so few *active* particpants are subscribed here or (more alarmingly) to ietf-announce. One hypothesis is that people who don't care about IETF admin stuff *really* don't care, even if they are active contributors as per paths 2 or 3, so they will never volunteer. Another hypothesis is that we didn't do a good enough spamming job with the call for volunteers. Was there at least one call for volunteers in the inbox of everybody qualified under paths 2 or 3?

Anyway, as Gabriel reminded us, this will be followed up after the NomCom is seated.

   Brian