Re: Eligibility criteria [Re: List of volunteers for the 2021-2022 NomCom]

Brian E Carpenter <brian.e.carpenter@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
    >>> I think the criteria will need to be extended to include primary
    >>> authors of active internet-drafts.
    >>>
    >>> If you care enough about the IETF to have actively submitted a draft
    >>> in the last six months (and I do!), then you care about nomcom.

    >> I think one can care equally enough about the IETF by actively
    >> commenting and reviewing drafts authored by others.

    > I agree in principle. However, both of these criteria were discussed on
    > eligibility-discuss@xxxxxxxx before finalising RFC8989, and the
    > consensus seemed to be that since they are both trivial to game, we
    > couldn't use them. There's more of a case for qualifying authors of
    > WG-adopted drafts and members of official review teams, but even those
    > didn't get consensus.

Let me add, as a proponent for finding ways to formally acknowledge contributors,
what I would like to have occur as we move to XMLv3, is that the
"contributor" meta-data is used universally.
That makes it easier to collect the information mechanically.
We'd then be a better position to understand to what extent it can be gamed.

    > I suggest people review those discussions, which are somewhere in
    > https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/browse/eligibility-discuss/

:-)

--
Michael Richardson <mcr+IETF@xxxxxxxxxxxx>   . o O ( IPv6 IøT consulting )