Re: List of volunteers for the 2021-2022 NomCom

I have no problem with there being 40 Huawei volunteers. Clearly someone sent round a note saying 'please do this' and they did. And they will get a maximum of two seats as a result. That isn't a diversity problem that I can see. we have frequently had two employees from other companies.

Where I see the problem is that 120-40 = 80. Which is a rather small pool.

I am not a fan of the NOMCON system. Direct election is vastly better in my view because it establishes accountability. But if you are going to have a NOMCON scheme, you need to stick to it and not try to change horses in mid race.

On Mon, Jun 28, 2021 at 1:57 PM Keith Moore <moore@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 6/27/21 3:54 PM, Joel M. Halpern wrote:

> While I agree we probably have the time to reopen it, we can't just
> decide to do so.  We can't simply change the procedures because we
> want to (particularly note when "we" is some vocal subset of the
> community.)

+1.  The whole point of having a process like this is that once it's set
in motion, you DON'T change the rules because that would in effect be
gaming the process.

Keith