Re: Why we really can't use Facebook for technical discussion.

On 6/7/21 10:58 AM, Andy Ringsmuth wrote:

Not to mention - I assume many of us have read of what life is like for many of those moderators. Imagine sitting at a screen for 8 or 9 hours a day, staring at endless photos ranging from child abuse to child porn, BDSM, violence, blood, gore, and that is barely, barely scratching the surface. Having to make flash decisions about the worst of the worst of the worst of humanity. All day. Every day. For not much pay. And minimal psychological/mental health support.

https://www.theguardian.com/news/2017/may/25/facebook-moderator-underpaid-overburdened-extreme-content

https://www.theverge.com/2019/2/25/18229714/cognizant-facebook-content-moderator-interviews-trauma-working-conditions-arizona

https://gizmodo.com/the-life-of-a-facebook-moderator-sounds-even-worse-than-1835656998

I can also imagine that it would be extremely difficult for moderators constantly subjected to extreme content, to then turn around and make wise judgments about subtle shades of meaning from, say, satirical material.

Keith