Re: Why we really can't use Facebook for technical discussion.

There are multiple problems going on here.

One problem that needs urgent attention is a phenomenon I am calling a profile poisoning attack. Facebook does not allow people to say 'this content is garbage, do not show this type of content again'. The only feedback allowed is positive. YouTube and Twitter suffer from the same basic problem but to a lesser degree. Not being able to tell your racist uncle that you have no interest in his bullshit is core to the Facebook brand. It is why it was able to do so much damage.

Limiting people to positive feedback sets the stage for a profile poisoning attack. The attacker bombards the target with propaganda knowing that any response from the target will result in the algorithm sending even more propaganda. There is no escape, there is no way to shut the propaganda off. The needs of Facebook advertisers means that the product must not be allowed to say 'stop'.

A colleague pointed out that the QAnon slogan is 'do your research' is in effect a clever trap to cause the target to be deluged by more nonsensical conspiracy mongering.

It is time to stop this. Dean points out one of the major problems with Facebook - there is only one authority. Only King Zuck gets to decide who can and who cannot speak. His house, his rules. So it is time to make it our house.

I have given a lot of thought to this problem over the past two years. I hope folk didn't think I was only thinking about how t do s aslightly better password vault, secure data at rest and do end to end secure messaging. The Mesh was always about an end-to-end secure social media platform.

The absolute bare minimum for a social media platform that gives users full control is a name that belongs to them, does not come with an artificial rent, is life-long (except in exceptional circumstances) and can be bound to the service provider(s) of their choice for messaging, social media etc.

There is also a blockchain in there that does not rely on proof of work for stability. The ultimate source of authority and trust for every user is that user themselves. It is kindof a zen thing.

The basic code for phase one is passing all relevant unit tests. Just got to write the server config interface.