RE: Why we really can't use Facebook for technical discussion.

PHB:

Quite, and the trolls always have the advantage. They create accounts with legends by the hundred. Use ten of them to attack a target, lose all of them but the target is also taken out. The 30 day ban means that this is a big win for the troll. There is no cost to creating troll accounts because there is no negative feedback. A brand new account has the same prominence as an established one.

That seem like a poor design for a recommender system, but I’m not sure trolling from fake accounts is an issue in Dean’s case. Nor does it seem to apply to IETF’s possible use of the Facebook for anything.

I’ve made the case in the past that there might be a “sock puppet” kind of thing on IETF email lists, partly because I couldn’t believe the posters were real. One thing Facebook has is

Can I create multiple Facebook accounts? | Facebook Help Center

I’m sorry you have a troublesome uncle.