Re: StandICT.eu funding on offer

On 5/7/21 6:53 PM, John C Klensin wrote:

--On Friday, May 7, 2021 10:26 -0500 Pete Resnick
<resnick@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 7 May 2021, at 10:14, Andrew G. Malis wrote:

I disagree about the charter call. The mailman description
for the  general IETF list is "This mailing list is for
general topics of  discussion relating to items within the
IETF community. This is a  public list for the IETF community
to use. Any items posted are  subject to the rules of BCP 78
and BCP 79." This posting certainly  fits that
description, it's very much of interest to the community.
But it doesn't fit the IETF list charter, RFC 3005:

      Inappropriate postings include:

      - Announcements of conferences, events, or activities
that are not
        sponsored or endorsed by the Internet Society or IETF.

I'm not saying that we can't decide to allow postings like
this; it might be a very good thing. But we need to explicitly
make that decision, and explain why this one is OK and other
similar posts might still be problematic (if so).
FWIW, I concur with Pete.
If the "real" criterion is going to be "well, I think that is
interesting and/or helpful or "the ExecDir gets to post these
things but ordinary mortals do not"..

A short, one-sentence message from the IETF executive director outlining an opportunity to fund participation in IETF meetings must reasonably fit within "considerable latitude".

--
Amelia Andersdotter

Director of Strategic Initiatives, CENTR
www.centr.org